PSC Elementary Science: Note of Food for Good Health 2017
Food for Good Health: This chapter is 6th in number. It tells various things about food. It is also necessary for our daily life. It tells the basic things about foods which will be very effective for our real life. At the same time, it is small in length and very easy to learn. After Matter and Energy (Chapter 5), this chapter makes you very comfortable with its subject matter. There are more MCQ in the comparison of other chapters. It contains a few descriptive questions. You will get more questions here.
At a Glance
- Importance of Balanced Diet
- Food Preservation
- The Ways of Food Preservation
- Importance of Food Preservation
- Food Containing Artificial Colors and Chemicals
- Junk Food
Short Answered Questions (Main Text)
1. Give 3 ways of food preservation. ★
Ans: Three ways of food preservation are given below:
- Fish, meat, vegetables and fruits can keep in good condition for some days in refrigerator.
- Crops like rice, wheat, pulses etc. can be preserved by sun drying.
- Jam, jelly and pickles are processed from fruits and preserved in airtight pot.
2. What are the benefits of food preservation? ★
Ans: There are many benefits of food preservation. Such as-
- Food preservation can stop wastage and slow down spoilage of food.
- Food such as fish, meat, vegetables, and dairy products are frequently contaminated with bacteria and spoiled. Food preservation helps prevent the growth of bacteria that causes spoilage.
- Food preservation makes the seasonal food available throughout the year. It makes easy to transport food to far places.
3. Why do we have to eat balanced diet?
Ans: Eating balanced diet is important. Our body needs proper nutrition to remain healthy. Without proper nutrition, our body becomes more prone to diseases, infection, fatigue and poor performance. So we should eat a healthy balanced diet in the right amounts according to age and work.
4. How can we get a balanced diet? ★
Ans: A balanced diet provides essential nutrients that we need to stay healthy. We should eat a healthy balanced diet in the right amounts according to age and work. To get a balanced diet we have to choose the proper amount of foods from each of the food groups. To be healthy we need to take food from six groups. These six groups are the carbohydrate, vitamin, mineral, protein, calcium, oil and fat. At the same time, we have to drink safe water and fresh food. To maintain a balanced diet, we have to take fresh vegetables and fruits. We need to take fish, meat and egg. We should not take oil, fat and carbohydrate a lot.
5. What foods include artificial colours?
Ans: Sweet, jelly, candy, ice-cream cakes and soft drinks include colour.
Descriptive Questions (Main Text)
1. A burger contains a variety of foods such as beef, chicken, tomato, lettuce, cheese and bread. Why is eating burgers too much harmful to our health? ★
Ans: Burger is a junk food. It contains beef, chicken, tomato, lettuce, cheese and bread. But too much eating of burgers is harmful to our health. Junk foods are delicious, but they are not a balanced diet. Many junk foods have a lot of sugar, salt, or fat that our body needs a little bit. Eating too much junk food instead of regular food may cause nutritional deficiencies, overweight, and obesity.
2. How does food preservation give us many benefits? ★
Ans: Food preservation gives us many benefits. It can stop wastage and slow down spoilage of food. Foods such as fish, meat, vegetables, and dairy products are frequently contaminated with bacteria and spoiled. Food preservation helps prevent the growth of bacteria that causes spoilage. It makes the seasonal food available throughout the year. It makes easy to transport food to far places. It decreases the wastage of food. There are many ways of food preservation.
3. Using chemicals in food is harmful to our health. Explain why. ★
Ans: Artificial colours are added to foods to make them more appealing and desirable. There are so many foods such as sweet, jelly, candy, ice cream, cakes and soft drinks that contain artificial colour. Food containing artificial colours may have health problems such as cancer, attention-deficit disorder and hyperactivity. Dishonest dealers add harmful chemicals to foods. Formalin is used for preserving foods. Chemical such as Carbide is used for ripening fruits. Foods containing chemicals can cause diseases such as dysfunction of liver and kidney. People may get cancer by those chemicals.
1. What does a balanced diet provide?
Ans: A balanced diet provides essential nutrients that we need to stay healthy.
2. Why we should know how much nutrients we need for our body? ★
Ans: The demand of food and nutrition varies according to the age and work of a person. So we should know how much nutrients we need for our body and which food we should eat to stay healthy.
3. What problems are faced by the children suffering from malnutrition?
Ans: Children suffering from malnutrition run the risk of growth and developmental problems.
4. Why do we need food preservation?
Ans: All types of food are not available throughout the year. So we need to preserve food in different ways.
5. Explain different ways of food preservation? ★
Ans: People have used scientific methods to preserve foods. Crops like rice, wheat, pulses etc. can be preserved by sun drying. Fish, meat, vegetables and fruits can keep in good condition for some days in refrigerator. Vegetables, fishes, meats can also be preserved in the cold storage in order to supply in the market throughout the year. Jam, jelly, pickles are processed from fruits and preserved in airtight pot. Besides, fishes can be preserved by using salt or ice. We can also sugar, vinegar, or oil to preserve olives, plums, mangoes etc. for long time.
6. We should eat all types of food. Is it correct or not? ★
Ans: It is important to know which foods we should take regularly and which foods we should eat limited. Some foods are not good for our health. Some foods include too many nutrients that are not necessary for our health. So we should not eat all types of food all time. We should take food according to our age and works.
7. Give some examples of junk food?
Ans: Junk foods are delicious, but they are not a balanced diet. Many junk foods have a lot of sugar, salt, or fat that our body needs a little bit. Popular junk food includes burgers, pizza, potato chips, soft drinks etc.